November 3, 2015
Buy Now

Will we ever get an offline mode or not?

Before the NFS 2015 was released, we were informed that the game would require constant internet connection. However, Marcus Nilsson stated in September 2015 that the game might eventually get an offline mode in a patch, because he wanted the people to play it even after the servers were closed. Here's the proof: http://racinggamemania.com/need-for-speed/need-for-speed-offline-mode-may-come-in-a-patch/

I know the "living game" has barely been released, but it seems it's dying already (no new content coming). The "living game" thing was also the official reason why the game required internet connection, so there's no excuse for having this requirement anymore.

So I'd like to ask a simple question. Is the offline mode still coming, Mr Nilsson? Will we be able to play NFS2015 in 10, 20 or 30 years from now?

Comments

• Not sure if you have seen the latest news but the developer has abandoned this game on May 10th. They are now going to go and develop the next instalment of a racing game with no cars to race with.

NEED FOR CONTENT 2017: Coming Soon
  • I've seen the statement that there would be no more free content updates. That doesn't necessarily mean no more patches etc.
  • It has been said that there would be no paid DLC, so if there's no Free updates and no Paid updates, what updates will there be?

This game only just released on PC and it has been abandoned by the Devs almost immediately. Totally shameful behaviour. Good luck selling us your next low-effort "game".
  • It could be not just sad to have the servers closed like in World,but it would hurt fans that a game that has been worked on for over a year to make it perfect ends in mud.I can`t tell how much i am supporting a patch,i`m 1 billion % for that.
    Need for Speed almost died in 2013 with Rivals but 2015 made us very happy and Ghost Studio should be very proud for what they did and i hope that they will make a patch that will make a immortal game just like The Underground series,Carbon,Most Wanted etc...
  • What's sad is how EA is selling us vaporware. What's funny how they can make it look and feel just like we are paying for something, and in return actually owning it.

I drove 80 miles round-trip to a Best Buy that had the deluxe version of NFS2015 in stock. I paid $70 for a physical copy that's actually in a drawer, at my house, right now as we speak. But, turns out I really don't own the game. Truth is, I can't play it anymore once the real owners say I've had enough. They get to pull the plug, just like they did with NFSW, and MCO.
  • I could not play the game the first day I bought it. Could not connect, I could play for 20 minutes yesterday and then i got thrown out of the server. Could not connect today either. Really wish that they implement a real "Alone" mode before killing this game. Why EA, why?!
  • need4speed
    4 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    There has to be an offline patch, because people bought the
    game so they have the right to own it. Right now the game
    depends on server uptime right? So if they decide to shut down
    the servers in some weeks, then the game is non-working for everyone.
    That's the same as buying a pizza, but only get the pizzabox (no pizza).
    Or buying a car, but only get the steering wheel.
    Or buying an airplane ticket, but only get a fake ticket.
    Or simply order a good drink, but the glass is all empty.
  • Luka98Pirot
    36 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    An offline patch is possible,even Marcus Nilsson said it (before the offical game release),if the servers go down.

http://segmentnext.com/2015/09/29/need-for-speed-offline-mode-may-come-in-patch/
  • Bumping the thread.

Can anyone from EA or Ghost Games answer to this? I'm not demanding an offline patch tomorrow. I just want to know whether or not there are plans for such thing. In other words - do you guys have a backup plan in case EA pulls the plug on the game's server?

You want to regain our trust? Show us that you really care.
  • I completely agree with Manticore8 !
    What now EA ?
  • F8RGE
    61 posts NFS Team
    Manticore8 wrote: »
    Bumping the thread.

Can anyone from EA or Ghost Games answer to this? I'm not demanding an offline patch tomorrow. I just want to know whether or not there are plans for such thing. In other words - do you guys have a backup plan in case EA pulls the plug on the game's server?

You want to regain our trust? Show us that you really care.

We have no plans to 'pull the plug' on the game's servers.
    F8RGE | Ghost Games
  • First and foremost, I don't want to be rude. I just want to be sure that in 10, 20 or 30 years from now on I will be able to play this - and every other - Need for Speed game. Judging by the amount of displays of this thread (more than 5400), I'm not the only one interested in this matter.

Can you guarantee that the servers will be up in 10, 20 or 30 years from now? I doubt so. No one can tell what will happen in such a long time.

Not to mention that NFS2015 has no reason to require constant internet connection. Photo sharing? Forza games can also do this, and yet they're playable offline. Comparing times with friends? Previous Need for Speeds had this function. Delivering new updates? All the games on Origin can be automatically updated, yet very few of them are always online. And besides, NFS2015 won't get any new updates.
    F8RGE wrote: »
    We have no plans to 'pull the plug' on the game's servers.

Of course not. I believe you, honestly. However, I doubt that EA Canada wanted to close Motor City Online's servers either. Neither Maxis wanted to kill Darkspore. The same case is with Black Box/Quicklime Games and Need for Speed World. I don't think Ghost Games - or any other developer, for that matter - gets to tell whether the server will be up forever or not. It's EA's call. One day they may just say: "OK, guys, NFS2020 is coming out and we need room on our servers for it. NFS2015 is going down".

Please, reconsider all of this. Always online is one of the most hated form of DRM among players, it literally ruins the game for those who can't have a decent internet connection and it's basically a death sentence for the game.
  • Its the Global warming dont you see Formula E is popular now NO POLLUTION.
  • I'm thinking that no, EA is not going to allow this. After all, I have seen videos of game settings for offline mode that are obsolete, meaning that if anything, EA patched the game to PREVENT offline mode functionality. And that link Manticore8 tried to provide? Luka98pirot provided one that worked, and guess what? It's a year old already.

So what I think happened is that EA wanted to shove this online mode down everyone's throats, figured they would get used to it and they didn't. So now like a spoiled kid upset that no one wants to go by his made up rules, they are taking the ball home with them.

I am only just now looking into this, though, so it may just be a worst case scenario. I will let you know if I find a solution.
  • Marcus Nilsson where u promise? 1 year ago, where patch?
    Are you interested in your wallet than the desire of players, u and EA, GG too..
  • I just purchased the game and, to be honest, I'm getting sick of the messing about already. After making my router less secure, just so I can get it set at Type 2 NAT on the PS4 (no such problems with my PS3 or Xbox 360 though!), today I kept getting the message that I lost my connection.

I'm a gamer, that means I want to enjoy the games whether I'm online or not. EA needs to put their customers first and stop making things so difficult for us. NFS doesn't need us to be online constantly. Until recently I was still playing NFS Shift (the first one, not the rubbish Shift 2) on my PS3. There seems to be a trend of studios/publishers trying to force us to stay connected just to be able to play their games. I prefer to be able to do as I please, not be forced to go online just to be able to drive around.

If the next NFS game is online only then I won't be purchasing it, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one....
  • Been getting kicked offline (from NFS) most of today, yet my PS4 is still online. I can play Call of Duty: infinite Warfare, but the NFS software is the problem. If we're not getting the option to play offline, I would like a refund on my purchase. No point in having a game that we cannot play!
  • How about just removing Denuvo? It would be much simpler to make a server emulator in case the servers are shut down. Doom recently received a patch which removed Denuvo.

Also, I've launched the game today just to find out that all my cars disappeared from the garage. I've had both the garage and the warehouse full of exotics, and today I've got some low end wrecks instead. This is what happens when someone decides to make a single player game that stores the progress on a server. Thanks for ruining my progress, guys. I really appreciate it.
  • Manticore8 wrote: »
    How about just removing Denuvo? It would be much simpler to make a server emulator in case the servers are shut down. Doom recently received a patch which removed Denuvo.

Also, I've launched the game today just to find out that all my cars disappeared from the garage. I've had both the garage and the warehouse full of exotics, and today I've got some low end wrecks instead. This is what happens when someone decides to make a single player game that stores the progress on a server. Thanks for ruining my progress, guys. I really appreciate it.

Way ahead of you,this summer i lost all my progress.I hope that wont happen again.
  • multidrago11
    1 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    i'm curious here. do you have to be online at ALL times to play the game? because i'm unable to connect to the ea servers but i've an internet. i'm never able to play online in games like CoD because of the specific area my house is located. but i'm just wondering if i'll be able to at least play the game without connection to the servers.
  • That's what all the fuss is about - you can't play the game offline. Even if you play alone, you still have to be connected to EA's servers.

If your internet connection is ****, you can't play. If EA's server is under maintenance, you can't play. If you feel nostalgic in 5-10 years from now and want to return to the game - guess what, you won't be able to because most likely EA will shut down the server.

Once again I'll say this - the game DOESN'T NEED to be always online, but it is, just to make your life miserable.
  • You can play offline. I do all the time.
    Since two days now, I can not get on the EA server. It keeps telling me that my Profile has no Permissions. But I can still play the game.
    With XBox ONE, if it gets stuck at the EA login screen or any screen at start up, just unplug the power cord for a second, plug back in and you should be good to go (off-line).
    I have even went as far as disconnecting the ethernet connection from the console to test this, and I do get the messages that the server is offline and etc, but it still plays.

NFS Rivals -- XBox ONE
  • Dude, you're talking about NFS Rivals. Of course that game can be played offline! We're talking about NFS 2015 here, which has to connect to the EA server before it lets you play.
  • I've started a petition. I ask every one of you to sign it. Remember, it's not about whether you like the game or not, whether you're a fan of classic or Underground-themed Need for Speed. The fact is, Need for Speed 2015 is a part of our favorite franchise, a part of gaming history, and if it doesn't receive an offline patch, it will be dead eventually, when the servers are shut off.

https://change.org/p/electronic-arts-make-need-for-speed-2015-playable-offline
  • do you have to be online at ALL times to play the game?
    Unfortunately, Yes.
    Is it so difficult to remove Criterion drifting from NFS? Even Minecraft doesn't have it!
  • EA GAMES PLEASE I BEG YOU
    it's been 2 years, I just bought the game a few days ago, the deluxe one, hoping that the offline patch is already available. But.. I'm kinda disappointed bcs there is NOTHING like it. My internet is not really good that the "very bad connection" alert always show up in 10 mins. Can't you guys make a patch, or an update that makes the game store the savegame on local document, NOT on cloud server, and make it playable in offline without connecting to EA servers? Please EA don't dissapoint your customers i beg you pls pls pls make this patch...
  • EA GAMES PLEASE I BEG YOU
    it's been 2 years, I just bought the game a few days ago, the deluxe one, hoping that the offline patch is already available. But.. I'm kinda disappointed bcs there is NOTHING like it. My internet is not really good that the "very bad connection" alert always show up in 10 mins. Can't you guys make a patch, or an update that makes the game store the savegame on local document, NOT on cloud server, and make it playable in offline without connecting to EA servers? Please EA don't dissapoint your customers i beg you pls pls pls make this patch...
  • Saurion
    5 posts Member
    The lack of offline play is the reason im never buying from EA again. It's not too late to fix it, but they seem determined to do nothing.
  • Saurion wrote: »
    The lack of offline play is the reason im never buying from EA again. It's not too late to fix it, but they seem determined to do nothing.

It's a good thing NFS 2017 will have offline play then. ;)
  • Saurion
    5 posts Member
    edited May 10
    Saurion wrote: »

It's a good thing NFS 2017 will have offline play then. ;)

I mean fixing the game i already paid for. I have no interest in buying another game from them, given my previous experience.