November 3, 2015
Buy Now

Favorite handling system of all NFS games?

HowsMyDriving102
Member112 posts
edited July 2016
Handling is one of the most important aspects of a racing game, whether it be Arcade, Simulation, or anything in-between. That's why I've decided to create this poll.
Because I don't have room for all the NFS games for one poll, I've selected some of the most notable handling models and put a few games together in the same option.

Favorite handling system of all NFS games? 30 votes

Need For Speed games from 1994-1999 (EA Canada)
3%
nfsboss88 1 vote
Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed (Eden Studios / EA Canada)
3%
Not_Available 1 vote
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002) (Black Box)
6%
Manticore8Seijouro 2 votes
Need For Speed: Underground 1 - 2 (Black Box)
13%
HowsMyDriving102Luka1998thewizerdtomkat492 4 votes
Need For Speed: Most Wanted 2005 / Carbon (Black Box)
46%
LeMansRacerConverseFoxJonyslow_mo_broI30JIbTRyder755Skyline652ChromeFreeZeharun789YesNotThatTypeOfTrannyGEAR1001VololoomanShey862 14 votes
Need For Speed: Prostreet (Black Box)
3%
HappyDays 1 vote
Need For Speed: Shift series (Slightly Mad Studios)
0%
Need For Speed: The Run (Black Box)
6%
SCPD_wreckedNeoAnderson55 2 votes
Criterion Games handling
3%
darklaser12 1 vote
NFS 2015 handling (specific tune/s)
13%
D1M4_190RUSrotary_mastrShehzademMr_RibonucleicAcid 4 votes
Is it so difficult to remove Criterion drifting from NFS? Even Minecraft doesn't have it!

Comments

• Jony
    65 posts Member
    My favourite handling system would be from Most Wanted 2005 and Carbon, particularly the handling system from Carbon.

The cars in Carbon handle like they should be.
    Muscle cars have really poor handling, exotics have decent handling, and tuners have excellent handling.
  • Need For Speed: Most Wanted 2005 / Carbon (Black Box)
    These are the types of questions Ghost should be asking...
    Jony wrote: »
    My favourite handling system would be from Most Wanted 2005 and Carbon, particularly the handling system from Carbon.

Muscle cars have really poor handling, exotics have decent handling, and tuners have excellent handling.

That's pretty wrong, because the ZO6 handled terribly in the game despite its 7:30-7:40 Nurburgring time in real life. The Viper isn't a bad handler either. And the Supra handled better than it should've. Exotics probably handle the best of all of them.
  • Jony
    65 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Jony wrote: »

That's pretty wrong, because the ZO6 handled terribly in the game despite its 7:30-7:40 Nurburgring time in real life. The Viper isn't a bad handler either. And the Supra handled better than it should've. Exotics probably handle the best of all of them.

Arcade racing games = Cars don't perform like they do in real life (For more balancing among other cars)
    Simulation racing games = Cars perform like they do in real life

NFS Carbon is an arcade racing game, so all cars don't perform like they do in real life for balancing purposes.

Now, I'll say this again: The cars in Carbon handle like they should be in their respective car class.

Muscle cars' typical characteristics:
    Decent Top Speed
    High Acceleration
    Low Handling

Exotics' typical characteristics:
    High Top Speed
    Decent Acceleration
    Decent Handling

Tuners' typical characteristics:
    Low Top Speed
    Decent Acceleration
    High Handling

Every car has strengths and weaknesses to prevent cars from being too overpowered in arcade racing games, unlike simulation racing games when one car is simply superior over the other cars due to its performance in real life.
  • rcgldr
    3 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Shift 1 has the most realistic handling of the NFS series. The two fastest cars in Shift 2 (Apollo, LP640), have a high speed oversteer issue, apparently due to the downforce physics somewhat lifting the rear tires off the road (because the car's body is pushed down by downforce), so Shift 1 is considered better.

As for balance of cars in NFS games, in almost every NFS game, and in every tier or class in an NFS game there are 1 or 2 dominant cars. Most Wanted - Carrera GT due to cosmic nitrous (online ranked detuned the faster cars, making the BMW fastest, but there was a way to prevent the detuning if the host followed a sequence when creating the lobby). Carbon - Tier 1 - 240SX, Tier 2 - Elise, Tier 3 - Audi Lemans or Z06. Online pursuit mode - Cop Z06 (fastest car in Carbon).

The main exception was World, where EA kept changing the physics and the rules (such as the change from 3 tiers to 6 classes) and changing or making new cars that were dominant as part of its ploy to get players to continue spending money on the game.

I don't know about the games released after Shift 2 / World, because I didn't buy any of them.

My vote for worst handling is Hot Pursuit 2 (2002). Even a hint of steering in the most powerful cars unrealistically slows down a car. Rather than taking the best racing line, a player has to choose a line that minimizes steering input. The fastest cars are awkwardly geared, often ending up stuck in a gear too low or too high for the speed during a race.
    Yeah I really hope the next need for speed has this kind of gameplay. ( Most Wanted 2005 or carbon ) Underground and hot pursuit were good too but those were the best.
  • slow_mo_bro
    25 posts Member
    edited January 4
    I love the handling in these games! My favorite handling model is the Heroic Driving Engine from Undercover. I would really like to see the return of that style of driving. All the cars felt really good to drive and they all had there own personalities and handling characteristics. The handling model in NFS 2015 is a good one as well. I love the tuning for grip or drift and the cars feel nice to drive and make it a fun experience. This is good poll.
    I want every single unit after the guy. Everyone? EVERYONE! (Most Wanted 05)
  • Need For Speed: Underground 1 - 2 (Black Box)
    Having played a bunch of the older titles recently I'd say Underground 2 (minus wall riding) followed by Most Wanted 2005. In both those titles the handling was fast and arcade-y, but there were subtle differences amongst the cars. I felt like Carbon took it too far with the "classing" and you ended up having cars like Vettes and Vipers handling like bricks, Supras and Skylines topping out a low (and non-competitive) speeds, and Exotics basically being great at everything even though they were supposed to be balanced.

Really Shift 2 had some great handling physics, but it's a little too close to sim for most NFS players it seems.
  • Need For Speed: Prostreet (Black Box)
    People keep forgetting to include Undercover in their polls which was also a decent game.
    HappyDays wrote: »
    People keep forgetting to include Undercover in their polls which was also a decent game.

Yeah I know, it is.
    I wonder why you can't drive in NFS 2015 like if it was an arcade racer. You have to forcefully drift to be able to turn, if not the car will barely turn and you'll end up crashing. Sometimes it feels like the cars steers on its own sometimes, like if it Wanted to go a certain way on its own. I didn't feel like I'm really full in control of the car like I felt in games like NFS Underground, or NFS Most Wanted 2005, or NFS Carbon- those games were super fun. The arcadey driving was great, so were the stunts in slow motion, the crazy police pursuits, splitscreen racing, and career mode among other things.

Please NFS go back to that style of gameplay.
  • Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002) (Black Box)
    To me the best handling, and also best NFS game in the series is Need for Speed Hot-Pursuit 2 on PS2.... ****... really loved that game and arcade style handling